Eleven Madison Park (EMP) has been a NYC 3 Michelin Starred restaurant since 2012. It’s considered the #1 2017 World’s 50 Best Restaurant. Is it true?
There is a lot of hype with those credentials. I have eaten at all the 3 Michelin starred restaurants in the United States and a handful of 2 starred restaurants. It was definitely a lot of money to spend on a meal and it was a lot of time to be spent at a dinner table. Here are EMP’s accolades: Eleven Madison Park New York.
- 3 Michelin Stars since 2012
- #1 on the San Pellegrino 2017 World’s 50 Best Restaurants
- #3 on the San Pellegrino 2016 World’s 50 Best Restaurants
- #5 on the San Pellegrino 2015 World’s 50 Best Restaurants
- #4 on the San Pellegrino 2014 World’s 50 Best Restaurants
- #5 in 2013
- #10 in 2012
- #24 in 2011
EMP is an overall journey. It’s a New York based experience with the ingredients and stories told during the dinner. The restaurant with its high ceiling served its patrons without any pretentiousness as they didn’t mind me showing up in a t-shirt and jeans. We were off to a good start versus other 3 Michelin starred restaurants that require a jacket. Eleven Madison Park New York.
EMP’s service was spotless and the details were impeccable. Everything was executed with precision from the way plates were placed to the direction the servers walk inside the restaurant. It was like watching a ballet. I don’t think any restaurant in the United States could match EMP’s service. They knew how to make a client feel comfortable while offering an once in a lifetime experience. Eleven Madison Park New York.
The great part of the dining experience was the level of astuteness the wait staff displayed. They were spread around the restaurant, but they were always observing every little move made by customers. As soon as the water was 1/3 full, the wait staff were right there to fill the water before I place my cup back on the table. It’s in the fine details that sets EMP apart from the rest of the restaurants in New York. Eleven Madison Park New York.
Now, the food. I’m not going to touch on all the courses but the ones that I thought stood out:
- Widow’s Hole Oysters – The oysters were served in contrasting ways. One was hot while the other was cold. The cold one was draped with apples and the hot was covered with shaved black chestnuts. It had a very earthy flavor to it; in addition, it was a great idea to provide variants between the oysters. Both oysters tasted clean and fresh. The warm oyster had a nutty and sweet flavor; the cold oyster was crisp and juicy. Eleven Madison Park New York.
- Hudson Valley Foie Gras – The Foie Gras was accompanied with Sunchoke, Hazelnuts and Pear. The hazelnuts added a nice earthy taste to the foie gras; the pear complemented it with a lovely juicy sweetness. The seared parts gave it a crisp texture then turned buttery as I progressed with my bite. It resembles the richness and buttery texture of a spoonful of bone marrow. Eleven Madison Park New York.
- Mangalista Pork – Mangalista Pork was braised. It was served with Onion and Pork Jus. The pork had a very tender, juicy, and rich flavor. It tasted a lot more fatty and succulent than an average pig. It was very easy to cut and the pork jus was a great way to add additional flavor. Eleven Madison Park New York.
Overall, I definitely recommend EMP to anyone who enjoys the finer things in life. EMP provides a classy and elegant experience without the pretentiousness that comes with its accolades. It was a very down-to-earth experience. The great thing about EMP’s staff was they were just normal people in outside of work with a sense of humor. Eleven Madison Park New York.
Need places to eat and other things to do? Check out our New York write ups here.
- Service - 9.5/109.5/10
- Presentation - 8/108/10
- Flavors - 7.5/107.5/10
- Decor - 8.5/108.5/10
- Ambiance - 8.5/108.5/10
Eleven Madison Park (EMP) has been a 3 Michelin Starred restaurant since 2012. It’s considered the #1 2017 World’s 50 Best Restaurant. The restaurant provides an overall New York culinary journey. I don’t think any restaurant in the United States could match EMP’s service. I definitely recommend EMP to anyone who enjoys the finer things in life.