St John is a very renowned restaurant and it’s all deserved. Anthony Bourdain considers St John his favorite restaurant in the world. Here are St John’s accolades:
- 1 Michelin star in 2014
- 1 Michelin star in 2015
- #55 on the San Pellegrino 2014 World’s Best Restaurants
- #92 on the San Pellegrino 2015 World’s Best Restaurants
- #91 on the San Pellegrino 2016 World’s Best Restaurants
St John is a very unassuming restaurant with a semi-opened kitchen. The crowd is anyone from corporate folks to a mother and daughter having a date day. There’s no million dollar view or expensive tablecloth. The simple white walls with the matching white table cloth. It’s all grill and no frills. I absolutely love the restaurant.
The service was great and everyone was really nice with their British ascent. Owner, Trevor Gulliver, was there and going around introducing himself. He was a really nice old man with a playful demeanor. The wait staff was very attentive to your needs.
Now, the food. I ordered a number of items on the menu but I’m only going to touch on my absolute favorite ones.
- Roasted Bone Marrow – The roasted bone marrow came unsalted with the salt on the side. It was served with parsley salad & toast. It was easily one of the best bone marrows I’ve ever had. The quality and quantity of the marrow was amazing. I really liked that you could salt it to your liking and it spread very well over the toast. The buttery and silky texture was amazing.
- Brown Crab Meat on Toast – The crab meat came spread out on the toast with a lemon to squeeze. It was slightly fishy but it wasn’t disgusting fishy. It had a tangy flavor to it and was delicious with the warm and perfectly toasted bread.
- Pheasant & Trotter Pie – The pie came out with a bone marrow stuck right in the middle and piping hot. The flavors of the pie were very comforting and warm. The tender morsels of pork and the salty bacon was fantastic. It was the perfect dish to end the meal with especially when it was pretty chilly outside.
Overall, St John was a fantastic restaurant and it’s accolades are well deserved. It reminds me of LA’s beloved Bestia. It’s pretty pricey since the USD is getting crushed by the GBP. However, it was well worth the experience and dishes.
Check out our other London articles here.
- Service - 8/108/10
- Presentation - 7/107/10
- Flavors - 8.5/108.5/10
- Decor - 7.5/107.5/10
- Ambiance - 7/107/10
St John is a very renowned restaurant and it’s all deserved. Anthony Bourdain considers St John his favorite restaurant in the world, but it’s in London. Overall, St John was a fantastic restaurant and it’s accolades are well deserved. It reminds me of LA’s beloved Bestia.