La Lucha Sangucheria is a local favorite with lines throughout the day in Lima, Peru. The Peruvian sandwich shop is nothing like I’ve experienced.
La Lucha Sangucheria is a little sandwich shop and it’s a stop where a lot of Peruvians and foreigners to grab late night food or a dinner. The sandwich shop is located next to Calle De La Pizza and Parque Kennedy; it’s an area known for its nightlife with rolls of bars and park vendors. The area is crowded with people walking around and the occasional drug dealer trying to sell you cocaine. No lie. However, it’s not a dangerous area as it is pretty populous.
The little sandwich shop is a no frills and all grills type of shop. The line looks intimating; however, most of the individuals ordered to-go and are waiting for their sandwiches. La Lucha Sangucheria has a very efficient process as there are workers in line helping you decide and handing out menus, so you’re ready to order when you’re at the counter. There’s seating on the patio and inside the shop; however, the seats are for customers only, so you have to show your receipt to the security guard. Once seated, they deliver your sandwich to your table. The wait staff will check on you if you’ve been sitting for more than 5 minutes without food.
Now, La Lucha Sangucheria food. Whenever I take a trip, I hardly eat at the same place twice with the except of my favorite pizzeria in New York, Prince St Pizza. I will buy two whole pies and bring it back to California with me. Anyway, La Lucha Sangucheria is so good that I went back twice. Each time trying two different sandwiches.
- Mixto Serrano – The sandwich comes with triple the ham, tomato, cheese and avocado served on a three layers of buttered and toasted white bread. The ham had a really nice salty flavor to eat and the advocado added a buttery rich flavor with the tomatoes providing a tangy and ripe flavor to the sandwich. The melted cheese was creamy texture and perfected the sandwich.
- Club Sandwich – The Club sandwich had a crispy bite to it as you bite into the layers of ham, chicken, bacon, cheese tomatoes and egg. The perfectly layered sandwich didn’t taste dry and the proteins were all juicy providing a divine taste on your palate. This could easily be the best club sandwich I’ve eaten in my life. The key of the sandwich was the salty ham and the tenderness of the chicken. Club Sandwiches usually come with dried chicken breast but La Lucha does a wonderful job at containing the juiciness of the chicken.
- La Lucha – The sandwich came with slices of sirloin beef and melted cheese in a French Bread. The lightly peppered and salted sirloin was juicy and flavorful; the melted cheese add a creaminess to the sandwich. The key to the sandwich was the layering of the cheese within the sirloin; it added a depth to the sandwich. The bread was toasted providing a crispy crust and the fluffy dough made it easy to bite into the sandwich.
- Chicharron – The Chicharrón is not your typical fried pork rinds but a pork rib fried in its own fat. It was served in a French bread layered with onions. The onions sharp flavor was perfect with Chicharron’s spices. The Chicharron juicy tenderness was seared on the outside and glisten in the light.
- Papa Fritas Huayro – The steak fries come piping hot and served with different dipping sauces. The Huayro potatoes are labeled “Las Mejores Del Peru”, which translate to The Best Of Peru.” The labeled is correct. The Huayro provide a very starchy flavor with a crispy yet soft texture.
Overall, La Lucha Sangucheria could be the best sandwich shop I’ve eaten at. La Lucha Sangucheria keeps it fairly simple with its sandwich choices and doesn’t overwhelm you with a large menu. The efficient and cheap sandwiches is a great meal or snack that provides big flavors for under 6 USD per sandwich. In addition, the portions are massive. Must stop when in Lima.
Check out our other Lima articles here.
- Service - 8/108/10
- Presentation - 9/109/10
- Flavors - 10/1010/10
- Decor - 7/107/10
- Ambiance - 7/107/10
The little sandwich shop is a no frills and all grills type of shop. La Lucha keeps it fairly simple with its sandwich choices and doesn’t overwhelm you with a large menu. The efficient and cheap sandwiches is a great meal or snack that provides big flavors for under 6 USD per sandwich.